Heart & Cardiology/Heart rate during exercise

QUESTION: Hello and thank you for taking my question...I was exercising last week and getting some pvcs. My heart rate was around 125 for a bit and then when I looked up my heart rate read 191 on treadmill. I was wearing a polar strap at the gym. I did not feel anything and it went back to around 125 a few (3 to 5 seconds) seconds later. I was hoping it was a bad reading from the monitor but wanted to know what else potentially it could be. Any thoughts would be appreciated...I had a normal echo a few weeks ago. I do get sinus tachycardia and i am anxious in general.

ANSWER: Hi Louis,
Most patients with PVCs and otherwise normal heart function, a normal EKG and echo donít need treatment, other than perhaps a beta blocker to reduce their frequency, and are thus perfectly safe to exercise.
Dr T

QUESTION: Hi Dr. new Electrophysiologist has diagnosed me with LGL Syndrome. He put me on 12.5 of Toprol generic (low dosage). My question is can a beta blocker increase chances of ventricle arrhymias. I do not want to make my condition any worse. I just want to manage it as best i can. My symptoms have been pvcs and sinus tach.
Thank u in advance

ANSWER: Re: can a beta blocker increase chances of ventricle arrhythmias, NO! It will reduce the frquency of PVC.
Hope this helps,
Dr T

QUESTION: Dr. T...thanks for the quick response. Is LGL Syndrome a progressive disorder or can it be managed and kept at bay. I assume i had this my whole life and no one else saw it
I made a lot of dietary and lifestyle changes. Just not sure if it decreases life expectancy. Trying not to read too much on the internet...enjoy your weekend!

You need to discuss whether you are at risk for SVT and if so would yu benefit from ablation. This is not a discussion I can have here:
If your heart has been proven to be healthy otherwise, any further treatment such as an ablation requires consultation with an EP specialized cardiologist.   An EP test will confirm whether there is an "extra nerve" as occurs in most patients with SVT. Whether you would benefit from an ablation depends on the findings, your symptoms and risks involving the arrhythmias, vs. the risks of treatment.

Just remember this:

1. PVCs and PACs are usually benign
2. Most patients with SVT usually have a benign clinical course.  In other words, SVTs as a rule do not usually cause fatality.  However, in some patients when heart rate reach very high level (above 250 bpm) serious consequences can occur, including fainting spells and Sudden Death. In some cases, heart failure can result from chronic uncontrolled rapid SVT
3. Just because ablation CAN be done, it doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.
Dr T

Heart & Cardiology

Expert opinions on cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Over 30 years experience of dealing as an expert with cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Board certified cardio-thoracic surgeon