Heart & Cardiology/Heart rate flu

Hi sir
I recently came down with the flu have a low grade fever 99.9 aches pains . I normally take 100 mg atenenol daily to control sinus tachy but it seems that with the flu the atenenol has stopped working and my heart rate is 110-113 and I can't seem to get it lowered with the medicine . Should I worry or will this pass after the flu does ? We have gotton some snow and I am afraid to shovel and in October of 2012 I went into afib I'm afraid if I shovel I may cause afib ? Thanks

Hello Matt,

You need not worry about a heart rate of 113 or even 120.  I wouldn't shovel snow with flu, until a day after your temperature becomes normal.  I doubt if shoveling snow would cause atrial fib.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.