Heart & Cardiology/Heart rate flu

Question
Hi sir
I recently came down with the flu have a low grade fever 99.9 aches pains . I normally take 100 mg atenenol daily to control sinus tachy but it seems that with the flu the atenenol has stopped working and my heart rate is 110-113 and I can't seem to get it lowered with the medicine . Should I worry or will this pass after the flu does ? We have gotton some snow and I am afraid to shovel and in October of 2012 I went into afib I'm afraid if I shovel I may cause afib ? Thanks

Answer
Hello Matt,

You need not worry about a heart rate of 113 or even 120.  I wouldn't shovel snow with flu, until a day after your temperature becomes normal.  I doubt if shoveling snow would cause atrial fib.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson