Heart & Cardiology/how do you know if its serious

Question
QUESTION: Dear Doctor
i have lots of missed beats which continue for hours, how do you know if they are harmless miss beats or something more serious? Do i have to have it checked with a 24hr moniter?
Thank you
Dawn

ANSWER: Hello Dawn,

Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.  A 24-hour monitor won't help much.  It would tell whether the missed beats are atrial or ventricular, but either are safe if you have a normal heart.  Ask for an echocardiogram to be sure your heart's structure and function are normal.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

QUESTION: Thank you doctor.
What would they be looking for?
Is it possible that I have fib? I don't know what that is but I have read on here that it needs attention. Does that feel the same as the missed beats? Regards

Answer
An echo sees the structure and function of your heart.  That's what they would be looking for.

In afib you feel that your heart rhythm is totally irregular for at least a minute.  Lots of missed beats doesn't sound like atrial fib, but your raising that question suggests getting a 24-hour EKG, called a Holter monitor, if the skips occur every single day, or an event monitor if the skips don't occur every day.

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson