Heart & Cardiology/PVCs

Question
Hi, I have been having skipped heartbeats for around a year now, I also have anxiety. I had a normal echo and ECG a few years ago. Do I need to be re-evaluated? I'm only 21. I also have shortness of breath, kind of like I feel like I need to take a really deep breath sometimes or yawn, and it lasts for hours but then will go away for months at a time. Have I developed heart disease? I can exercise, and I don't feel the shortness of breath worse when I'm lying down. Sometimes when a skipped beat is really hard I'll get that feeling of needing to take a big breath. Can you help me understand what's going on? Thank you

Answer
Hello Rachel,

Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.
Your shortness of breath is probably normal too, as is needing a big breath after a skip.  If you can exercise, run half or block or walk 5 blocks, I think you need do nothing but exercise more.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson