You are here:

Heart & Cardiology/Question for Husband's Pain


For at least five years my husband has been having pain which can't be figured out.  He has not seen a cardiologist about it though.  He was a ball player (paddleball) and had to give it up because he got pain which started in his elbow while playing, which pain went to his left pectoral muscle area.  He saw a sports med doctor who couldn't find any problem in his arm.  He suggested maybe it was cardiac in nature but that was five years ago.  He didn't go further.  He remembers breaking his elbow when he was young and the arm doesn't straighten out.

To date he still gets this pain.  We could be walking, even slowly, and he has to stop because the pain goes from his elbow to his pectoral area. Given the history of a broken elbow that may not have healed correctly, would you be suspicious the pain is connected to a heart problem.  I'd really appreciate your advise.

Hello Eileen,

Yes, heart is a distinct possibility.  He should see a cardiologist.  If he's over 40, a stress test monitored by echo or radioisotopes is best tool; if under 40, an echo is first choice.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Richardson


Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.


Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Awards and Honors
Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.

©2017 All rights reserved.