Heart & Cardiology/wierd heart sensations

27 years old male last night and today I felt some kind of flutter i just can not explain it something like butterflies and wheezing it was less than 1 minute but it was scary as hell I felt this and shortness of breath,little dizzy.
All day feel some chest tightness my last echo 1 month ago was good except for slight MVP. Does that sound like an " ER Visit " ? i smoke

Hello Ivanovich,

If the flutter was skipped beats, that's normal.   Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.   If the flutter was totally irregular and lasted more than a minute, it may be atrial fibrillation; not a catastrophe but needs  a doctor's attention within a few weeks.  If the flutter was at rate over 150 beats a minute, that also needs attention within a few weeks.

Chest pain in a young person is usually cramping of muscles in the chest wall.  If pushing on the painful area modifies the pain (makes it better or worse), or if the pain is relieved by bending the body away from the painful area, that proves the pain is from chest  wall.  Even if these maneuvers donít affect the pain, itís still probably chest wall.  Pain caused by narrowing of the coronary arteries that supply blood to the heart is extremely rare below age 40. Chest wall pain is no threat to life or health, just a big nuisance.  Safest management is just to ignore the pain, though Tylenol, aspirin or ibuprofren usually help.

Please write back if this note doesnít answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.