Heart & Cardiology/Can bigeminy be related to perimenopause?

Question
Hello there,
I am a 52 year old female who has been suffering with occasional bouts of bigeminy (lasting up to 36 hours at a time) for the past four years. they used to seem to be related to my monthly cycle, being particularly prevalent mid-cycle and two days before my period started. As my cycles have become more unpredictable so have the bouts of bigeminy which are also more frequent now. I had an echo and holter 2 years ago and was told all was structurally fine and not to worry . However I do still worry when they are very bad, and now they seem more erratic when I move about. I am hoping that they are still just due to hormonal fluctuations but am starting to wonder as they are almost weekly. They are accompanied usually by extreme waves of panic, and occasional flushing. Can you give me any rereassurance or advice? Many thanks.

Answer
Hello Georgia,

Premature beats, no matter how frequent, are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.  Lots of women have written me that their PVCs are hormonally related, most frequent around time of monthly bleeding.  The only advice I can give is not to worry.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson  

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson