Heart & Cardiology/Cardiac cath

Question
I am having ankle reconstruction soon. as part of my preop physical I had an EKG and blood work. My TSH was 59. (I have been on armor thyroid) Endocrin dr switched me to 200 mcg of Lovoxyl
Have not had the TSH redrawn yet. Cardiac dr ordered chem stress test and card ultrasound. Got a call from the dr, now they want to do cardiac cath. I am 5'11 and weigh 260.
Can the high TSH be why the EKG is abnormal? Do I really need a cardiac cath? or should I wait to see if the TSH gets better?
How long after the card cath can I think about resceduling the ankle surgery?
Thank You

Answer
Hello LInda,

No, high TSH would not affect a cardiac cath.  It's very unlikely that hypothyroidism would affect the EKG in a way that would make cath be warranted, but not impossible.  You could wait and see, after asking the docs if high TSH could be responsible for that EKG abnormality.  Do You really need a cardiac cath?  The indication for intervening with balloon or bypass is chest pain you can't put up with that might be coming from narrowing of coronary arteries.  Medical treatment with diet, exercise, aspirin and a statin is as effective as intervention in preventing heart attack and cardiac death.  After a negative cath you could have ankle surgery right away.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson