Heart & Cardiology/pulmonary hypertension mild

Beano wrote at 2014-09-16 01:57:06
I am a doctor and I am also learning the oboe.  I too wonder whether I am going to get pulmonary hypertension from this.  There are a few causes of pulmonary hypertension, then there are things that aggravate pulmonary hypertension.  I think the most common cause of it is chronic lung disease but I'm not a lung expert.  Low oxygen levels and high carbon dioxide levels in the blood aggravate pulmonary hypertension and can lead to right ventricle failure and these are things you need to avoid as a player - however these are things we are concerned more about in moderate or severe pulmonary HTN.  As a new oboe player, I am having a lot of fun *sarcasm* learning to breathe properly on this instrument and I'm quite sure my CO2 level reaches 60mmHg sometimes (normally 40mmHg).

I couldn't say whether your playing caused it and if you are a seasoned player I don't know whether your breathing would even make it worse, but if you are playing comfortably on responsive reeds and breathing properly I would hope it isn't causing /making it worse.  I have googled this topic before and found nothing, also I haven't found much in the way of people having subarachnoid haemorrhages either, so I'm hoping that despite the extreme physiology of playing double reeds, that there is no association with these diseases.

Heart & Cardiology

doctort@cardiachealth.org