Heart & Cardiology/Heart

Question
Hi 36 years old male take 100 mg atenenol for sinus tachycardia I have had 1 unexplained episode of afib I was converted back with meds . Recently I was sitting at lunch had a chest pain come on center pain and below my left nipple ... I hurts more when I breath in I'm not sure what it is I have had no chest injury have done nothing strenuous . What should I do? I hate feeling like this . What can it be ?

Answer
Hello Matthew,

Chest pain in a young person is usually cramping of muscles in the chest wall.  If pushing on the painful area modifies the pain (makes it better or worse), or if the pain is relieved by bending the body away from the painful area, that proves the pain is from chest  wall.  Even if these maneuvers donít affect the pain, itís still probably chest wall.  Pain caused by narrowing of the coronary arteries that supply blood to the heart is extremely rare below age 40. Chest wall pain is no threat to life or health, just a big nuisance.  Safest management is just to ignore the pain, though Tylenol, aspirin or ibuprofren usually help.

Please write back if this note doesnít answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson