Heart & Cardiology/Heart Murmur

Hi Dr. Richardson,

I just had a physical done to attend a police academy and the doctor said she heard a heart murmur. I'm 25 years old and in pretty good shape but now I'm scared. She said it sounds mild but thinks it could be related to my strong heart beat since I was nervous. She told me that she's not really worried about it but to check up with my PCM later. She approved me and signed my paperwork. Should I be concerned? I had an echo-cardiogram done when I was in the military a couple of years ago due to PVC's but in the end it was related to stress and caffeine I guess. I'm just concerned about this murmur now, I didn't even know I had one. Thank you!

Hello Francisco,

A murmur is of no worry for someone with a normal echo.  You can forget about the murmur as a false positive and no threat.  You don't even need a new echo.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.