Heart & Cardiology/heart rhythm issues.

Hi Doctor,
In the last three weeks I've been experiencing what may be heart rhythm problems.
It came on suddenly, after I had a nasty chest infection two months ago. What happens is that I feel as if my heart is slowing down and at the same time I cannot get enough breath. Nothing has shown on the heart trace and my doctor is treating as if a digestive problem. She gave me an anti-hypertensive to addto the one I was already taking. There has been a reduction in symptoms but still getting the "heart flips" a couple of times a day. Not linked to anything specific. I can be sitting quietly and "bang" off we go. Bloods came back OK.
No smoking or alcohol and vegetarian. Any advice please as to how to proceed?
Many Thanks

Hello Vici,

If it's skipped beats, that's not a problem.  Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.

If your heart just gradually slows down, it's probably okay unless it slows below 40 beats a minute, in which case ask your doctor for a Holter monitor if it happens every single day or for an event monitor if it doesn't happen every day.

Please write back if this note doesn't answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.