Heart & Cardiology/Heart palpitations 8 weeks post partum

I'm 26 years old and just gave birth to my second child 8 weeks ago. I've been experiencing heart palpitations that last for hours at a time. I had them after my first child was born a year and a half ago, also 2 months post partum. At that time I had an echo and was told they were PVCs. They feel so scary though...and I've been reading about postpartum heart diease (perinatal cardiomyopathy).
I'm not taking any medications and am otherwise healthy, although I am just recovering from the flu. Occasionally I get lightheaded with the palpitations but I do not experience fatigue or shortness of breath.
Should I get another echo done or are these likely the same PVCs? Is there anything I can do for them?
Thank you for your help.

Hello Kari,

Premature beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.  They certainly don't mean you have peri-partum cardiomyopathy.  No need to repeat the echo or get other tests.  Expect that they will become less frequent in the near future.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.