Heart & Cardiology/PAC

QUESTION: Hello, I was just at the cardiologist a few days ago for a follow up after wearing a event monitor. I was having issues with fast heart rates but everything that was caught was normal sinus tachycardia. I also had some skipped beats that where recorded. The doctor told be the only abnormally thing seen on the monitor was a PAC that was 2.2 and they don't worry about it until it would reach 5. I am not sure what he is saying. Am I having multiple beats at 2.2 secs. He said that if it would reach 5sec I would need a pacemaker but right know it's not a concern. Could you please explain to me a little more what he is talking about. Is this something I should worry about? It is causing me great anxiety.

ANSWER: Hello Maci,

Sorry but i don't know what PAC stands for.

QUESTION: Premature Atrial Complexes  (PAC) before I left I asked if it was a PVC and he said no it was a blocked PAC. Don't know if this helps you understand what I was talking about. And that it was only 2.2 sec but if I would start to pass out or they would reach 5 sec I would need to have a pacemaker implanted.

Thanks for your time

Premature atrial complexes are harmless.  I guess he meant the pause after the PAC was 2.2 seconds, which is normal.  Premature complexes are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson  

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.