Heart & Cardiology/skipped heart beats/ pvc's

Hi I Have been having PVC's since I was fourteen I am now 32 and still get them on occasion. I have had Numerous ekgs in the past all came out normal. the last time I had my cholesterol checked it was good. I do have anxiety and panic disorder. and asthma so I am on steroids for that. also I walk 5-6 miles everyday or else I do 60-75 minutes of walking cardio everyday. my question is this. why am I still getting these skipped beats? I thought I would have out grown them by now? I know the ekgs and blood test were all good but it still freaks me out! Is this normal? or should I go to the doctor again. also My dad has the same thing. and he takes beta-blockers for It, Im just leary of any meds. and I am overweight by 60 lbs, which Iam working on fixing. any advice would be great thanks

Hello Deana,

Premature beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.   Yours will occur all of your life, I suspect.  You need no more tests.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson  

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.