Heart & Cardiology/Cardio Question

Question

I am 53 yrs old, I take combined HRT, I am 5'4", weight 175lbs and have normal blood pressure.

Briefly, I've had PVCs for 5 months - GP did bloods and 24 hr ECG (EEG?) and found nothing of concern, but referred me to cardiologist due to very low (36 bpm) sleeping heart rate.   Saw cardiologist yesterday, did echo and chest E-Ray and again found PVCs but nothing to concern him, except for a 'slight concern' over an 'odd' blood flow in veins which drain the blood from my lungs to my heart.   Have you come across this before and what might it mean?  He wasn't very willing to discuss it, just ordered an MRI and 7 day ECG - he said that sometimes it's hard to get good pictures from the echo and it may be nothing but he's crossing the 't's and dotting the 'i's - he said that as far as he could see from the echo my heart was structured normally (although it did show some aortic and mitral regurgitation but he said he wasn't worried about this, should I be?).  He also found a 'soft murmur', again he wasn't worried about this and said that he thought my heart was acting well as a pump.   Please can you advice what the 'slight concern' might be about - I suffer from health anxiety and am very worried that there may be something wrong.

Many thanks,
Jill

Answer
Hello Jill,

Some people are born with one or more of the veins that lead from lungs to left heart hooked up to the right heart instead.  It's called anomalous pulmonary venous connection.  This is his slight concern, but even if you have an anomalous pulmonary venous connection, it's insignificant or it would have caused trouble before now.  

Trivial mitral and aortic regurgitation are common and of no importance.  Many valves leak a little after the ventricle contracts and before the leaflets shut completely.

Premature beats, of which PVCs are form, are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson