Heart & Cardiology/heart pain

ok tks for your service which is very helpful.

i have a couple of things which i need yr advice for.

first i was sitting doing nothing surfing the internet for movies and for a couple of seconds i had a squeezing pain in my left breast on the far left side (being a worry wort i googled and up came heart squeezing pain ) i panicked . i took my bp though and it was 11.5/68 and pulse 71.

do you think it could be heart related??

the thing is i suffer from problems with my esophagus(grade a esophagitis/erosive gastritis since 2010) and i sometimes get pains in the upper back or front chest even sitting down so it's hard not to think it may have been heart related.

history : panic attacks-anxiety since 11yrs ago
mvp / mild mitral leakage (+1) diagnosed when i was 20.
I walk almost everyday(for exercise) i am fem 37 yrs old(have 3 children).

bp is v.good/pulse good
last checked cholesterol was about a year ago it's always been very healthy hdl was 61 and triglykerides were about 39 i think.

Hello Antonia,

Chest pain in a young person is usually cramping of muscles in the chest wall.  If pushing on the painful area modifies the pain (makes it better or worse), or if the pain is relieved by bending the body away from the painful area, that proves the pain is from chest  wall.  Even if these maneuvers donít affect the pain, itís still probably chest wall.  Pain caused by narrowing of the coronary arteries that supply blood to the heart is extremely rare below age 40. Chest wall pain is no threat to life or health, just a big nuisance.  Safest management is just to ignore the pain, though Tylenol, aspirin or ibuprofren usually help.  Esophageal pain is also quite possible.  Your pain is almost certainly not from heart.

Please write back if this note doesnít answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.