Heart & Cardiology/Pericardial Effusion

Question
I have had sinus inflammation/infections since November.  For the past three weeks, I have become breathless when walking/talking and also woke up at night not being able to take a deep breath.  Pain by the sternum when taking a deep breath started.  My Dr. Did a breathing test which showed my lung capacity was 60% of normal  I was put on nebulized meds. I used them for one week but they did not help at all.  I was getting worse.  My doctor ordered a ct of the chest.  I had the ct done this past Thursday.  The radiologist had me stay while he contacted my doctor.  I was at the cardiologist office two hours later having an echo and in the hospital Thursday night.  I had the effusion drained yesterday.

Is one liter considered a lot of fluid?

Could there be a relationship between chronically inflamed sinuses and the effusion

Answer
Hello Amy

One liter is right much fluid.

Only a doubtful relationship exists between chronic sinus inflammation and pericardial effusion, meaning I doubt if they are connected.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson