Heart & Cardiology/Study

Question
Hello Dr Richardson, thanks for your inputs. Greatly appreciated.

The danger with Internet nowadays is clearly that it doesn't take much to develop cyberchondria...nevertheless i have to ask since I came about this study http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/121/17/1904.long and was very anxious and confused. Have  read your posts that there is no real correlation between pvcs etc and other cardiac problems etc. Sorry for asking you but what is your opinion on this and are there any contradiction to what is discussed ?

Many regards from London
John Clack

Answer
Hello Mr. Clark,

Thanks for the reference. I had not seen it.  Note that the confidence limits are 1.06 and up.  So the chance of trouble from atrial premature beats is small.  Atrial fib is now well managed, with stroke and death rates much lower than in the years of the study.  Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but I still think APCs are benign.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson