Heart & Cardiology/Heart Rythym

Question
Age: 22
Weight: 18 and a half stone
Height: 5ft 9
Blood pressure: Normal
Medication: cipralex, codeine, ibuprofen, ponstan, tranexamic acid, vaniqa cream

Hi

I have in the past suffered from ectopic beats since around age 12 or so. I have had numerous normal resting ECGs and have had heart tracings as part of medical procedures, e.g. surgery, all normal.

My question is simply, a few weeks ago I suffered a series of "skips". I kept coughing to stop them, I must have felt 4 skips, maybe 5 and they stopped. I felt no ill effects other than panic and slight dizziness, pulse was normal straight afterwards and I managed to carry on normal activities.

I forgot about it until recently, and when I googled discovered that more than 3 beats indicates an episode of VT.

I am terrified that I have experienced this, and worried in case it happens again, God forbid, and I end up seriously ill.

I spoke to a GP today who says it sounds like nothing to worry about but I don't feel reassured?

Any advice appreciated.

Answer
Hello Linda,

Skipped beats are normal heart activity, easy to understand as normal from knowledge of the heart's electrical system and occurring in about half of us.  They don't mean you have heart disease or will in the future develop heart disease or any cardiac catastrophe.
More than three in a row are termed VT, but they are still harmless, just a nuisance in someone with normal heart structure and function.  It would reassure me if you got an echocardiogram to be certain your heart's structure and function are okay.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson