Heart & Cardiology/Medicine for Blood Pressure

Question
I am an Indian aged 57 years (from Kerala state) working in Saudi Arabia since 1979. For the past 19 years I have been taking Atenolol 50 mg for blood pressure.For the past ten years I have been taking atenolol 50 mg  + amlodipine 5 mg. Since two months, I have been taking atenolol 50 mg + telmisartan 40 mg(The treating doctor(GP, not cardiologist) told me to use telmisartan instead of amlodipine).Two days ago my BP was 90/110. For the past 7 years I have been using Atorvastatin 10 mg for cholesterol. As my Cholesterol level was low, I have been using atorvastatin 5 mg for the past two months. As my cholesterol level became further lower, I have stopped using Arorvastatin. For the past four years, I have been using Metformin 500 mg for diabetis. For the past one year, I have been using either Janumet+metformin 500mg or Saxagliptin 5 mg+metformin 500 mg for diabetis. This doctor(GP) has told me to use a reduced dose of Atenolol 25 mg(not 50 mg) + telmisartan 40 mg). Please advise me whether I can use Atenolol 25 mg instead of 50 mg and later avoid atenolol and use other medicines for my BP. Other doctors have also told me not to use Atenolol and use other medicines.

Answer
Hello Mr. Mohamed,

Yes, you can take Atenolol 25 mg instead of 50.  If you decide to stop atenolol, take 12.5 mg daily for a week, the stop it.

Atorvastatin has beneficial anti-[inflammatory effects in addition to lowering cholesterol.  I would not stop it.

You should also be taking a baby aspirin (80 mg) daily.

Please write back if this note doesn't answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson