Heart & Cardiology/Pericarditis

I had a pericardial effusion drained 3 weeks ago and was diagnosed with chronic and acute pericarditis due to the results of a tissue biopsy.  Prior to 6 weeks ago my average pulse rate was 74-78.   My puls rate has been 94-99 since the onset of the effusion. Even though I had a window, my pulse is still in the 90 s and I continue to have intermittent winded sensation, sharp pain under the left breast  and dizziness.  I have been taking indocine and colchicine since having the window. How concerned should I be?

Mildly concerned, Amy, because the pain persists.  But I don't know anything to do to stop the pain and winded feeling, except wait.  I'm very sorry you've had so much trouble and hope it will all go away soon.

Please write back if this note doesn’t answer all your questions.

David Richardson

Heart & Cardiology

David Richardson

Adult heart function and disease. Not very good about children lesss than 12. Hypertension is o.k. Heart rhythm a special interest.

Certified in cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Was chairman of division of cardiology at the Medical College of Virginia. Am now mostly retired.

Fellow of American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology and member of American Physiological Society..

Circulation, American Heart Journal, Hypertension.

M.D. from Harvard Medical School. Residency training at Yale Uhniversity School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia.

Gold Heartt Award from American Heart Association in 1995.