Heart & Cardiology/ECG for Active Duty Staff Sergeant

Question
ECG
ECG  
I am an active duty Staff Sergeant with 15 years and multiple Combat tours. I am 66" tall at 190lbs. Over the past two years I have gained 30 lbs despite working out 4 days a week. I am always fatigued. My father just had a valve in his heart replaced and my grandfather died after multiple heart attacks.

I went in for my PHA and was asked to keep a blood pressure and heart rate log for two months. Three times a day I would sit down for 20 minutes, relax and use the wrist cuff I was given. My average for the first month was 140's / 95's with a resting heart rate in the 120's. My PCM put me on Lisinopril/HCTZ 12.5mg one time a day for the second month.

For the second month, three times a day I would sit down for 20 minutes, relax and use the wrist cuff I was given. My average for the second month was 130's / 80's with a resting heart rate in the 120's.

During the course of the day while I was active and moving around I would take my BP just to see and I would average 150's / 105's with a heart rate of 170's.

I have even taken my BP first thing in the morning before getting out of bed and its up at 130's / 80's with a heart rate of 105's.

This morning I had a ultrasound done on my heart but the tech refused to give even a hint if something was wrong. I have to wait three weeks for someone to look at it and then make an appointment with my PCM and wait another few weeks before I am told whats going on.

Attached is a picture I was able to take of the first ECG.

Does it look ok?

I am also taking Amitriptyline at 20mg at night and Carisoprodol at 350mg 3x a day

Answer
Hi Ryan,
Your EKG is OK. Assuming your echocardiogram will be OK as well, rather than changing your BP meds I'd focus on your weight gain and your use of amitryptiline & carisoprodol - especially the latter should not be used long-term. I suspect if you were able to wean off them, you'd have an easier time losing weight and get your BP under control.
Hope this helps,
Dr T
http://www.cardiachealth.org/

Heart & Cardiology

doctort@cardiachealth.org