Heart & Cardiology/What does this mean?

Question
QUESTION: What does left ventricular diastolic function consistent with abnormal relaxation stage 1. Mild hypertrophy in a 57 year old mean?  What is the implication?

ANSWER: It sounds like the heart muscle is thickened, possibly secondary to hypertension and that it is stiff and hard to fill. Good luck!!!
         Dr. P

QUESTION: Thank you for your response  I don't have hypertension. My blood pressure is usually around 123/75.  I am being worked up by both a rheumatologist and immunologist for chronic inflammation (possible connected tissue/autoimmune disorder#  I had a window with a liter of blood drained 4 months ago and still have pericarditis and tachycardia (resting rate 90-103).  I am taking high dose ibuprofen, colchicine and low dose beta blocker.  I continue to have fatigue, tachycardia, fatigue and get easily winded.  None of my other echo's mentioned abnormal relaxation so I don't know if this is new or not.  My cardiologist is on vacation for two weeks. If this is new and not related to hypertension, then what other conditions could cause the abnormal relaxation?

Answer
If the hypertrophy is correct then you need to consider a primary hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in the absence of hypertension or aortic stenosis. Discuss this with your cardiologist when he returns. Good luck!!!
         Dr. P

Heart & Cardiology

Frank J. Pearl, M.D.