Heart & Cardiology/Heart/PVCs/Palpitations

Dear Doctor,

I suffer with anxiety and earlier in the year suffered several prolonged anxiety attacks which landed me in hospital. I ended up seeing a cardiologist and had a 24hr ECG, ECHO, chest xray etc. Everything was clear thankfully. I I've suffered with PVCs for years on and off but the last 18 months they have increased in frequency and feel different (used to experience one type of sensation but now several different types of sensation which varies) although my general stress/anxiety levels have been much higher the past  18 months.

What has concerned me most is one evening approximately two hours after a hard gym session I had a massive meal then laid down on my back. I felt what felt like three rapid ectopic beats/heart beat sensations. I couldn't be sure it was my heart but felt like it. I've never had anything like this before and wanted to know:

1) whether it was likely to be something to worry about like VT or NSVT? I didn't get any other symptoms at the time.

2) when I had my ecg cardiologist mentioned it was barely noticeable but I had a saddle shape which might have indicated at some point I'd had pericarditis? Is that or the saddle shape any concern?

3) can pericarditis trigger NSVT or VT as had similar dull chest aches/pains recently when had this three rapid isolated beats and months ago when had the the racing heart episodes so wondered if possibly linked?

Kind Regards

Hi,  http://blog.myheart.net/2014/07/30/pvc-heart-beats-are-they-dangerous/

Firstly its very reassuring that all your testing has been normal and that essentially places you in a low risk group. Ive referenced an article I've previously written about PVC's above. If you feel there has been a change in type and pattern then its reasonable to consider another EKG, or sometimes even a 24 hour monitor to characterize the frequency and morphology, although typically this isn't necessarily warranted.

VT/NSVT describe a longer lasting phenomenon, often several seconds to minutes to even longer. The lack of other symptoms are reassuring.

If your cardiologist wasn't really concerned about the saddle shape then i wouldn't worry too much. That is not indicative of pericarditis, whereas widespread ST segment elevation would. Pericarditis can give irritation and lead to transient arrhythmias, however that is accompanied by pleuritic chest pain the EKG changes, you don't have that based on the history provided.

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD

Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Hypertension, Pulmonary Embolism, Structural and Valve Disease

Board Certification Internal Medicine and Cardiology Interventional and Structural Cardiology

Multiple Publications In High Quality Peer Reviewed Journals. Internationally Recognized.

MD from The Royal Victoria University of Manchester, England Medicine, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Research Training - University of Alabama