Heart & Cardiology/Quick Chest Pain During Exercise

Dear Dr. Ahmed,

I'm 40 & a regular with cardio exercises.  Lately (past few months) I'll get a momentary jolt/pressure right in middle of chest, typically during a run, or tennis.  It comes out of nowhere and disappears just as quickly, and I am not short of breath when they occur.  They can coincide with a PVC.  My EP says it doesn't sound like a cardiac problem to him but he offered no solutions as to a possible cause.

Do you know what could be the cause?  Could the blood from a PVC be brushing up against the chest wall?  

Many thanks,

Hi James,

From the symptoms you describe i agree it doesn't sound like a cardiac problem. The reassuring thing is that you are able to complete regular cardio without exertional chest pain or shortness of breath.

Chest pain comes in all different shapes and sizes. When we think of chest pain coming from underlying heart disease we typically think of pain or pressure that is often central in the chest, not localized to a specific spot, and associated with a feeling of pressure that some describe as an elephant sitting on the chest. There may also be some shortness of breath. In typical chest pain, the symptoms usually come on with exertion and are relieved by rest. In the case of a heart attack for example, the pain can come on at rest but is usually associated with the typical symptoms described above. To truly determine the nature of your pain  a doctor would need to take a full history. If your pain is typical in nature, i.e associated with the features described above then further tests would be conducted to look for heart disease. In some patients, for example those at high risk (prior heart attack or blockage, diabetics etc..) then even atypical types of chest pain may warrant further investigation.

In your case, it appears that you are checked out by a cardiologist and , therefore if you are having no further testing, then you have likely been determined safe and its unlikely to be your heart causing the chest symptoms. As with anyone our risk of heart disease should be assessed and care taken to modify any risk factors present such as control of BP, cholesterol, weight, activity levels etc.

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD

Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Hypertension, Pulmonary Embolism, Structural and Valve Disease

Board Certification Internal Medicine and Cardiology Interventional and Structural Cardiology

Multiple Publications In High Quality Peer Reviewed Journals. Internationally Recognized.

MD from The Royal Victoria University of Manchester, England Medicine, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Research Training - University of Alabama