Heart & Cardiology/A/FIB

Question
Hi Dr Ahmed,

I was diagnosed with ectopic beats in June this year after waking up with a fast heartbeat and had to call an ambulance. I was kept in hospital for 10 days having many tests and heart monitors. I have been suffering with this for over 30 years on and off.

Then 2 weeks ago I had to phone for an ambulance again and was in hospital overnight. This time, I was told I have Atrial Fibrillation and was put on blood thinners but not warfarin, the new type. When I was told I could go home at seven o'clock in the morning, I stood up and felt faint, dizzy, sick, with blurred vision, so I sat down on the floor because I felt as if I would pass out. My blood pressure was taken and it was 80/40. Do you think the postural hypotension is caused by the AFIB? I also get the heart flutters in the middle of my upper abdomen and they are very strong and cause breathlessness and numbness. They are the worse ones. I am waiting to see a Physiologist at my local hospital. I am having a hard time with this problem at the moment and it is ruining my life. Do you think I will be able to have the ablation. Thank you for your help.

Answer
Hi, http://blog.myheart.net/2014/06/29/afib-with-rvr-when-the-heart-races-out-of-con

Sorry you seem to be having such a tough time.

Your hospitalization appeared to be long and complex, and i would need many details of the hospital course, and tests performed to be able to comment on the situation with any accuracy. Postural hypotension itself is a complex issue and once again its difficult to know the causee without more details.

Of note, sometimes afib is just present as a result of other condition such as a weaker heart or other illnesses. In those cases treatment of the underlying condition and not the afib is key. In some situations the afib itself causes the symptoms and in those cases, treatment of the fib, by means of rate control or by restoring normal rhythm is the correct strategy. I would make sure in your case that before considering ablation for the afib that it is indeed the cause of the problems. Also before ablation, a simple cardioversion and medical strategy may be preferred.

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD