Heart & Cardiology/Hypertension

Question
Hello Dr. Ahmed

My mom is 83 yrs old with an good general health. She takes Avapro 150 mg to control her blood pressure. Within the last week or so, he blood pressure started increasing taken at several times during the day. The highest reading was 150/80. It is ranging from 130/70 to 150/80. There is nothing else that looks to be going on.

What should we do? Do the meds need to be adjusted?

I would appreciate your response.

Thanks
Ghada

Answer

In an 83 year old, i would say the 130/70 is an excellent blood pressure particularly in the setting of good general health. Make sure of the following, that when the readings are taken, that your mother be relaxed, and seated for a few minutes prior. Its a good idea to keep a diary where it is taken a few times a day, particularly in the phase where medications are being titrated.

Im not sure how long she has been taking blood pressure meds. If it has been a while, i would see the average of the readings over a few week period to make sure the elevation is sustained before making treatment decisions. If it is still in the 150's range consistently at that point then you can talk with your physician about increasing the Avapro dose if tolerated. I personally like to maximize the dose of one medication prior to adding another.

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD