Heart & Cardiology/VSD and mild left heart enlargement

Question
My daughter was diagnosed with a small muscular VSD at 12 weeks old. She is now 6 months and had her second echo the other day. The cardiologist described the VSD as tiny and measured it between 1.6 and 2mm. He also told us that she had some mild left heart volume overload/enlargement. She is otherwise very well, gaining weight etc and the cardiologist did not find any other problems with her heart as far as I know.

I have a few questions. 1 - how likely is it that the VSD will close and when?

2 - Everything I read says that such a small VSD shouldn't cause any problems so is it possible for a 2mm VSD to cause mild left heart enlargement? Or is it likely that something else is causing this problem?

3 - If the VSD closes is the enlargement likely to return to normal?

Thank you for taking the time to read and I look forward to your response.

Answer
Hi Amy,
Frequently, spontaneous closure of small muscular VSDs occurs in the first 2 years of life (usually by age 6 mo), with closure rates approaching 80-90% by age 2 years. These small defects don't affect heart function.
Hope this helps,
Dr T
http://www.cardiachealth.org/

Heart & Cardiology

doctort@cardiachealth.org