Heart & Cardiology/Cardiomyopathy Asymptomatic

Hello, I would like some help understanding how cardiomyopathy is diagnosed.  My cardiologist suspects that I may have asymptomatic cardiomyopathy.  My doctor sent me for preventative consult to a heart clinic, my EKG was normal, but my echocardiogram showed moderate global hypokinesis, ejection fraction of 40 to 45%, and mild left ventricle dilated, LV grade 2 to 3.  I also had frequent PACs.  I was sent for a nuclear test and had to wear a holter monitor for 48 hrs, but have not seen the results of those.   

I am 38 years old and otherwise healthy, no symptoms of anything (I do have Raynauds syndrome).  I did have a weird virus which knocked me out about a month ago (dizzy, nausea, fatigued).  I am not overweight, I workout, weight train, try to eat healthy.  

I am just wondering how/when the cardiologist will be able to tell me what is going on with my heart and how it is treated?  Would I be considered to have heart failure now or is it too early to diagnose now before more tests?  Did I have a heart attack without knowing it? What would be the treatment for this? Sorry for all the questions, any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Rob,
If you have no cardiac risks and never had a heart attack, one of the possibilities of this mild form of dilated cardiomyopathy could be a viral infection. If so recovery is quite possible.
Read about other possible causes here:
Hope this helps,
Dr T

Heart & Cardiology

Expert opinions on cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Over 30 years experience of dealing as an expert with cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Board certified cardio-thoracic surgeon