Heart & Cardiology/Lipitor

I just came from my cardiologist and he put me on generic Lipitor 20 mg. I am 62 years old male.  I had a Singulex  report sone and my LDL is 118, HDL 53, APO B 88, HDL2b 28, triglyceride 83. I also had a CardioRisk IMT scan done and my arterial age is 65. My IMT is .8mm.( Right CCA .7, Bulb 1.1,Internal carotid 0.9. Left CCA 1.0, Bulb 1.3, Internal carotid 0.9. Plaque was heterogeneous. The MD said my situation was grey area for treatment but he would suggest the Lipitor. Do you have an opinion regarding whether Lipitor is appropriate and if so, why start with 20 mg vs 10 mg?

Given that you have plaque in your carotid artery I think that pharmacologic treatment is appropriate. I would leave the drug and dose up to your doctor but you could certainly make a case for 40-80mg. Also ask him/her about aspirin 81mg daily. Good luck!!!
         Dr. P

Heart & Cardiology

Frank J. Pearl, M.D.

Voluntary Professor of Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL. Board certified in cardiovascular disease