Heart & Cardiology/HEART OR NO

Question
Hello, I am a 38 male with sinus tachy heart rate 108-115 at rest - I take atenenol 100 mg a day for . I have had a cardiac ct to check for plaq and my calcium score is a 4 - i was put on norvac 2.5 mg a day and crestor 5 mg daily - latley i have been having chest pain below my throat. I also take .25 mg xanax 3x daily as needed for anxiety . Should i worry about the calcium score if 4 at age 38 is it bad? and this chest pain can it be of cardiac nature. I am checked out every 3 months with my cardiologiost. i have chest pain off and on almost 3-4 times a week.

Answer

Chest pain comes in all different shapes and sizes. When we think of chest pain coming from underlying heart disease we typically think of pain or pressure that is often central in the chest, not localized to a specific spot, and associated with a feeling of pressure that some describe as an elephant sitting on the chest. There may also be some shortness of breath. In typical chest pain, the symptoms usually come on with exertion and are relieved by rest.

To truly determine the nature of your pain  a doctor would need to take a full history. If your pain is typical in nature, i.e associated with the features described above then further tests would be conducted to look for heart disease. In some patients, for example those at high risk (prior heart attack or blockage, diabetics etc..) then even atypical types of chest pain may warrant further investigation. In your case, it appears that you are checked out by a cardiologist and followed regularly, therefore if you are having no further testing, then you have likely been determined safe and its unlikely to be your heart causing the chest symptoms.

As for the calcium score, Your score is 4, which on a conventional scale is very low and usually interpreted as only minimal evidence of coronary disease. It is not cause for concern. The best thing you can do is continue to follow up with your doctor, and make sure you are paying attention to risk factors for disease such as blood pressure control, cholesterol and a healthy lifestyle.

Some useful links:
http://blog.myheart.net/2014/06/08/heart-blockage-explained-with-pictures/
http://blog.myheart.net/2013/06/18/angina-or-some-other-chest-pain/

Hope that was helpful  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD