Heart & Cardiology/myth or truth

Question
im 38 yrs old .

i have sinus tachy and take 100 mg of atenenol daily, i have had chest pain had been checked by my cardiologist. i went for a cardiac ct i have a calcium score of 4  . is that bad ? i have had 2 episodes of unexplained afib exactly 1 yr apart. Latley ive noticed 2 diagnol ear lobe creases one on each ear. I have read this signifies heart dieases leading up to death, i have been put on crestor 5mg and a calcium blocker, what are the thoughts on the ear lobe creases is this fact or myth. should i worry ?

Answer

Ill try answer your questions, but its next to impossible to 'clear someone' from a cardiac point of view without much more detail and also access to the images. A lot of the things we do in cardiology are dependent on the interpretation of the person reading them, but for now ill go of what you have told me.

You have sinus tachycardia. In the work up of sinus tachycardia we generally look for an underlying cause of which there are numerous. The EKG needs to be reviewed to ensure there is no SVT as they can be confused easily. If there is a cause we call it appropriate sinus tach and we treat the underlying cause. If there is not we call it inappropriate and treatment is essentially directed at symptoms. Beta-blockers are often useful. In my experience some people also respond to conditioning and exercise.

Your CT calcium score is 4, this signifies minimal evidence of CAD and is confers a good prognosis so no real need for worry there.

Finally the earlobe creases. There is evidence that diagonal earlobe creases are associated with presence of coronary artery disease and this is not myth. There is no evidence that this signifies anything leading up to death. The sign was described in the 1970's and nowadays the risk stratification of disease is more refined. For example if someone came to me with diagonal earlobe creases, i would take a history and determine their risk and then treat their risk factors. There is no evidence that jumping to further tests is helpful, in fact it may be harmful. In your case however we know from your CT scan that you have minimal evidence of disease. If you were to develop symptoms of chest pain or exertional symptoms then further tests would be warranted. The best thing to do to improve your outcome is to treat your risk factors. You are on a statin and it appears attention is being paid to your blood pressure. Also pay attention to diet, physical activity and other risk factors. I wouldn't worry, but rather take a proactive approach to your heart health so you don't have to worry one day!

Hope that was helpful,

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD