Heart & Cardiology/Results of Echocardiogram

I am an expert (7 years)on this site as a Ph.D. in my field.  I went to a leading cardiologist at Albany Medical Center because in my primary care physician's file someone had written I had left ventricular hypertrophy.  An echocardiogram was done at Albany Medical Center.  I saw the cardiologist today to follow up a routine test to reduce LDL.  He gave me the printout of my test results which he said were "normal" and "healthy".  No overt problems or stenosis were found and heart chambers are normal size.

However, I read here:  Trace Aortic valve regurgitation (no stenosis); trace mitral valve regurgitation (no stenosis); trace pulmonic regurgitation, no stenosis.  trace tricusped regurgitation, no stenosis.

I have been treated for hypertension since my late 40s.  Except for a couple of years with a "bad" Dr. (I moved far from my former primary care physician and have had a very good one now), my BP is normally 120/70 or even below during exams.  Today it was elevated 140/84 but that was the stress of where I was.  At home at 1PM it was 110/70.

The cardiologist was not alarmed by any of this (or he would have shared his concern with me) but I am.  What does this mean?  Is it all the result of my hypertension or could it be the result of double pneumonia and (later consideration of) pericarditis at age five when I was close to death?  My EKG has had T wave abnormalities my entire life, my former cardiologist thought this the result of my early illness.

Thank you Doctor for your contribution to this site.

First and foremost its reassuring that your cardiologist did not have any concerns, and in general this rules out anything serious as he/she has had the benefit of seeing the full picture, taking a medical history etc..

With regard to your echo report it is essentially normal based on the information you have given. Trace regurgitation is seen in the majority of echo and in is not considered an abnormality so essentially your echo is normal in that respect. Although you had a prior report of LVH in your primary care physicians file, this does not appear to have been reported on the echocardiogram and therefore this is not of concern either.

Non specific ekg changes are also relatively common, and in the presence of your normal echo i wouldnt worry about those either. Its possible they are related to your prior preircarditis, but most likely they are just there and of no particular relevance.

The best thing to do is as you are doing, regular follow up with primary care, and control of risk factors such as cholesterol, blood pressure and adoption of a healthy lifestyle.

Hope that was helpful

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD

Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Hypertension, Pulmonary Embolism, Structural and Valve Disease

Board Certification Internal Medicine and Cardiology Interventional and Structural Cardiology

Multiple Publications In High Quality Peer Reviewed Journals. Internationally Recognized.

MD from The Royal Victoria University of Manchester, England Medicine, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Research Training - University of Alabama