Heart & Cardiology/Resveratrol with Xarelto

Hello: I am in my mid sixties,with idiopathic paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.I was recently started on Xarelto ( I was previously on ASA),as I related to my cardiologist a possible TIA about 6 years ago.I have been taking a supplement called Longevinex (resveratrol) for several years now that contains 100 mg of trans-resveratrol per daily dose.The literature included with the supplement advised caution when taking Longevinex with anti-coagulants,but didn't specify which ones.
I have tried Googling this without much luck,and I doubt my physician knows much about it.
As far as you know,is there a possibility of an adverse reaction between these two substances? Would getting an INR blood test help?

There unlikely to be much published literature on the subject due to the fact that the interactions between those two drugs has not been studied well. Laboratory experiments demonstrated that resveratrol inhibits human platelet aggregation, so basically making the blood thinner. This is similar to effects that may be seen in aspirin. The experiments were not done in living mammals or humans so its difficult to extrapolate accurately. However theoretically, high intakes of resveratrol could increase the risk of bleeding particularly when used with other blood thinning medications of which Xarelto is one. Due to this i would certainly exercise caution, and since the data on the effectiveness of resveratrol is limited, i would say the safe thing to do is avoid it in this setting.

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD

Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Hypertension, Pulmonary Embolism, Structural and Valve Disease

Board Certification Internal Medicine and Cardiology Interventional and Structural Cardiology

Multiple Publications In High Quality Peer Reviewed Journals. Internationally Recognized.

MD from The Royal Victoria University of Manchester, England Medicine, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Research Training - University of Alabama