Heart & Cardiology/Sinus Tachycardia

I have been diagnosed with a very rapid resting heart rate.  My heart rate is usually around 150 bpm when I do not take my meds and with my medication it runs around 80 to 100.  I am wondering if having uncontrolled celiac disease is causing my symptoms?

Hi, ( further reading at http://blog.myheart.net)

First and foremost sinus tachycardia, or inappropriate sinus tachycardia is a diagnosis of exclusion. Appropriate sinus tachycardia is that which occurs due to an underlying reason. For example the presence of abnormal heart pathways, severe anemia or heart failure, the presence of systemic infection, uncontrolled pain, ingestion of stimulants, abnormalities of the heart nervous system, deranged hormone levels etc.. In all those cases the heart rate is sped up as a reaction to something and treatment aimed at the underlying cause will serve to correct the anemia. Thats why its so important to remember that inappropriate sinus tachycardia is a diagnosis of exclusion. Tests would include blood tests, echocardiograms and others.

Once it has been determined that inappropriate sinus tachycardia is the diagnosis then its important to realize that treatments can often be ineffective and even detrimental in some circumstances Its therefore important to determine if there are associated symptoms, and if those symptoms are related to the heart rate. By this point treatments are of a fairly specialized nature and often use of beta blockers and ensuring no stimulants are on board (alcohol , caffeine). If this proves ineffective and the symptoms are prominent, then the use of other specialist medications may be considered and in rare cases even the use of a procedure. Unfortunately the use of advanced treatments can themselves often leave side effects worse than the initial problem. By this time however care really should be sought at a highly specialized center.

With regard to celiac disease, although theoretically possible, it would be very hard to attribute a resting heart rate of 150 to that unless the celiac disease it treated and the heart rate improves. I would make sure you have seen a specialist that can ensure the above causes are ruled out, particularly the presence of an abnormal rhythm pathway in the heart. Also you should have undergone monitoring to ensure the heart rate is accurate.

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD

Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Hypertension, Pulmonary Embolism, Structural and Valve Disease

Board Certification Internal Medicine and Cardiology Interventional and Structural Cardiology

Multiple Publications In High Quality Peer Reviewed Journals. Internationally Recognized.

MD from The Royal Victoria University of Manchester, England Medicine, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Research Training - University of Alabama