Heart & Cardiology/Instantly quit smoking?

Question
Greetings. I am 44 years of age. I have been on and off to smoking, and now I'm doing it again. But I really want to quit it for good. My question is:
Will there be a negative reaction to the body (like withdrawal stage) from instantly quitting to smoke. Some friends told me, not to quit instantly but gradually by lessening the cigarette sticks I smoke every day. What if I immediately refrained from smoking rather than lessening until I permanently quit. Which would be better? Thank you in advance for your expert advice. Have a nice day.

Answer
It would be better to quit instantly, as you will instantly reap the benefits. You will have cravings, not withdrawals. The only withdrawals that are potentially life-threatening are to alcohol, benzodiazepines, and barbiturates and in those cases a slow controlled wean is advised, but there is no such concern typically for nicotine. So, permanently quit immediately if you are able, you may have cravings and therefore be uncomfortable for a while but your body will thank you in the end.

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD