Heart & Cardiology/MAJOR PVCs 30 Weeks Pregnant

Question
Hello. I understand you are unable to give me a diagnosis without seeing me, but I just need some advice/ reassurance.
I am 30 weeks pregnant. I have had PVCs since before being pregnant due to Mitral Valve Prolapse. In the beginning of this pregnancy, I had PVCs here and there. Now, they are all the time. I may have a few times a day when I don't have them, but for the most part it is all day and they come like every 4 beats or so. I saw my cardiologist about a month ago and he was concerned. He did not do any tests though. He just checked my BP, pulse, and listened to my heart. I am scared to death. I am afraid that I am going to drop dead at any moment. I have 4 children plus the one on the way and it frightens me. These PVCs are ruining my life at this point. They are making me severely anxious and irritable. I cannot sleep at night because they are so bad. I feel like no one understands and cannot bring myself to believe they are "normal" or "benign". I have another appt with my cardiologist on the Oct 16th, but cannot wait that long :( Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

Answer
Hi Misti,
Although indeed most likely benign, w/o testing nobody can definitively prove that point. The great majority of PVCs are completely benign and require little if any treatment at all. PVCs, PACs etc. are all arrhythmias for which drugs like beta blockers and diltiazem are often used to reduce their frequency and incidence. Occasionally, PVCs may be a sign of underlying heart disease. Read this:
http://www.cardiachealth.org/premature-ventricular-contractions-pvcs
Call your cardiologist and ask to be seen immediately, if only for re-aasurance (you will need some testing)!
Hope this helps,
Dr T
http://www.cardiachealth.org/

Heart & Cardiology

doctort@cardiachealth.org