Heart & Cardiology/Ventricular Septum Defect

Question
Hi,  My question is about my 14 year old son who was born with a VSD with tetrology of fallot.  He had surgery at 4 months old.  He has had annual exams, but has not had to have another procedure as of yet.
Every year they recommend for him to have the flu shot, and he has.  More recently I've spoken with a well respected nutritionist in town that recommends not having the flu shot.  
With all the controversy about the dangers of the mercury, and aluminum, I am more concerned.
I've read that with his heart condition he is more prone to infection and could develop endocarditis.  
I'm torn, but leaning toward getting the shot again, in fear that it could be detrimental without it.
Please let me know your opinion on this matter.
I appreciate your time.
Thank you,
Kathy

Answer

Children with congenital heart defects are felt to be artist of serious complication if they were to catch the flu, and therefore general recommendation is that the flu shot should be given in the absence of a contraindication to the vaccine such as a life threatening reaction.
Endocarditis is not the concern from the flu, rather the hearts ability to handle the stress on the body.

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD