Heart & Cardiology/carotid artery

I am a 30 year old female - relatively healthy but obese. Have dealt with palpitations and currently take a beta blocker to reduce those (they are a nuisance but not medically significant).

Beginning a couple months ago, I am able to hear my pulse in my ear off and on. If I press on my carotid artery (I think - if I press where you would touch to take a pulse), the sound goes away. Occasionally, my neck feels very tight in that same area.

I went to the ENT who didn't find anything. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I have no idea whether this represents anything serious: see your FP and have it checked out. At your age the risk of a blockage in that artery is low, but a way to check whether you could be at risk you can find in this link:
Hope this helps,
Dr T

Heart & Cardiology

Expert opinions on cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Over 30 years experience of dealing as an expert with cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Board certified cardio-thoracic surgeon