Heart & Cardiology/ecg

hi doctor

i am trying to get clarification on the significance of bifascicular block(RBBB with LAHB)
I has lahb  for 3 yrs and have had bifascicular block for last 4 yrs
no symptoms and annual stress echos  normal
long history of gad and panic disorder and hypertension  
blood pressure under control without medication with excersise

is condition a result of age  hypertension or cad
articles on internet range from its not a big deal to  reduced life expectancy

Hi, http://myheart.net/articles/

The combination of RBBB and LAHB is known as bifascicular block. Basically 2 of the 3 main conduction channels of the heart are diseased. Your heart will be able to conduct from the remaining channel however. The fact you have no symptoms, and the fact that your LV function is normal on your stress echo is reassuring and the treatment would generally be observation (if recommended by the cardiologist that has seen you) and of course you should seek immediate help if you developed very slow heart rate, dizziness or passing out for example as that may be a sign of progression of disease. The chance of the bifascicular block progressing to complete heart block is generally low with studies suggesting that is less than a few % over a few years. The chance is lower in the case of LAHB (as you have) as compared to LPHB. So while I would not worry, I would ensure you have regular follow up. Conduction system disease is more common with age. In terms of long term outcomes, this is not likely to differ from normal if managed correctly with observation and follow up,

Hope that was helpful,

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD

Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Hypertension, Pulmonary Embolism, Structural and Valve Disease

Board Certification Internal Medicine and Cardiology Interventional and Structural Cardiology

Multiple Publications In High Quality Peer Reviewed Journals. Internationally Recognized.

MD from The Royal Victoria University of Manchester, England Medicine, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Research Training - University of Alabama