Heart & Cardiology/Heart rate/regurgitating valve

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
First, thank you for your time. I am 45, female, about 25 lbs overweight but have lost 11 pounds and still trying. I have a regurgitating valve (bottom left chamber) and high cholesterol. I am not athletic by any means. My resting heart rate is on average in the mid to high 40's. I have a lot of flutters and it feels as though it gets out of rhythm and has to catch up. I have no energy and sleep around 10-12 hours a day and yawn all day. I have told my heart doctor all of these things and he just says lose weight and we will just watch you. I wore a monitor recently overnight because I feel smothered when I lie down to sleep at night. He hasn't even called me back about that and it's been two weeks. I'm not a complainer by any means and am not looking for an illness or want to be sick but I know my body and something does not feel right with my heart. Should I get a second opinion?

ANSWER: Hi,

Sorry for a belated reply, for some reason i only just received my last several questions!

The good thing is that if there are serious findings they will typically call you straight away?

Do you have specific details about the echocardiogram? for example the pumping function, the amount of valve regurgitation? and other details. Have you heard about the monitor yet?

Let me know the details above if you have them,

QUESTION: The doctor I was going to before I moved said  he rated it a 2 out of 4 but didn't want to do anything yet because sometimes you could do more damage than good so he wanted to watch it for another year. He said he may have seen a tear and irregular spray and couldn't tell if it was a tear or a shadow. Maybe I should ask better questions bc that's all I undestood from it all. And the doctor here hasnt called me back to say one way or another about the echo. So. I don't know what to do. Thank you again.

Answer
Hi, http://myheart.net/articles/mitral-valve-regurgitation-mitral-insufficiency/

See if that link is helpful in explaining a leaky valve. That one is specific to the mitral valve which is most common. 2/4 is generally something that isn't considered dangerous but should be watched over time for potential progression or development of symptoms of it becomes more severe. I would certainly ask your doctor to be more specific as to exactly whats going on and what are the implications, its not good enough for them not to be sure!

Hope that was helpful.  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD