Heart & Cardiology/cardio exercise

Hi my name is Michael I have not done any real exercising since 2008 I'm overweight I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall 340 pounds I'm trying to lose weight I've been getting on the treadmill and walking in a slow pace for 5 minutes and I have notest  my heart rate being between 140 and a 155 I have a oximiter I check it with I'm wondering if that is dangerous and whether I need to talk with my doctor about that or if it's just because I have not done any exercise like this in a long time

The heart rate is not particularly high and may just be a result of deconditioning. The main question is do you get symptoms of chest pain, dizziness, palpitations, passing out, shortness of breath out of the ordinary etc. If you get such symptoms then you should certainly go and discuss this with a dr and see if further evaluation is necessary. A heart rate of 155 per se is not dangerous. As with any exercise program work within your limits initial and build up as tolerated.

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD

Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Hypertension, Pulmonary Embolism, Structural and Valve Disease

Board Certification Internal Medicine and Cardiology Interventional and Structural Cardiology

Multiple Publications In High Quality Peer Reviewed Journals. Internationally Recognized.

MD from The Royal Victoria University of Manchester, England Medicine, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Research Training - University of Alabama