Heart & Cardiology/Diastolic Dysfunction

I've had whole body stiffness, tenderness and pain for several years, progressively getting worse. Going by the symptoms, my doctor diagnosed it as Fibromyalgia. I was just diagnosed with diastolic dysfunction and high blood pressure. I am wondering if these could be connected with the Fibromyalgia and if Vitamin D could benefit me and help either condition. How serious is this condition and how important is it that I take the beta blockers that my doctor has recommended? Should I see a specialist, or will the beta blockers from my GP take care of things? I would be very grateful for any information and recommendations you can give me. Thank you.

Hi, http://myheart.net/articles/

It is unlikely that your newly diagnosed diastolic dysfunction and high blood pressure are related or connected to your fibromyalgia. However, it is likely that your diastolic dysfunction and high blood pressure are connected.

There is very little evidence that vitamin D would benefit you or help any of your conditions. In fact, a recent study showed that vitamin D supplementation is ineffective as an agent for lowering blood pressure (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25775274). Some experts believe that if you have low serum vitamin D levels then may be vitamin D supplementation can help various health conditions, but it is a highly controversial and debated topic. Most experts would agree that if your serum vitamin D levels are normal, then vitamin D supplementation is not recommended.

High blood pressure is important and needs to be treated early and monitored regularly, which most GPs can do for this very common condition. Diastolic dysfunction is heart condition where your heart pumps normally, but does not relax as well as it should. Severe diastolic dysfunction can give you the clinical syndrome of heart failure, but in the setting of a normal pumping function of your heart. Current treatment of diastolic dysfunction remains empirical and centered around the control of blood pressure (including diagnostic work-up for resistant hypertension when indicated), diabetes, dyslipidemia, OSA (with CPAP), COPD, and your volume or fluid status (with the use of diuretics). Along with life style changes (weight loss, smoking cessation, and salt restriction), all of these interventions can potentially improve your diastolic dysfunction (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22402071).

Beta-blockers can be used to treat high blood pressure and diastolic dysfunction, but there also may be better or different medications/treatments that could be better. Without knowing your specific history and circumstances, it is difficult to say what medications you should be taking. I would suggest that if your blood pressure cannot be controlled or if your diastolic dysfunction worsens, then you should probably seek out a specialists advice regarding treatment.

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD

Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Hypertension, Pulmonary Embolism, Structural and Valve Disease

Board Certification Internal Medicine and Cardiology Interventional and Structural Cardiology

Multiple Publications In High Quality Peer Reviewed Journals. Internationally Recognized.

MD from The Royal Victoria University of Manchester, England Medicine, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Research Training - University of Alabama