Heart & Cardiology/Echo

I had an echo done the other day and everything was normal except i had a question about my EF it says...the LVEF is estimated to be 53% +/-3%,The LV systolic function is Low Normal...does this mean im starting to get Heart Failure or is it fine?

Hi Justin,

What was the reason for the echo,

LV function is typically in the range of 55% however the reading is very subjective and dependent on the quality and the person reading it. The whole giving an value to the exact % is a little pointless in my opinion when done by standard 2d echo, I would follow up with the person doing the test and ask them to pay close attention to the measurement. Also ask the question whether it is truly lower than normal. It really depends on a careful assessment to see if it is abnormal or not. Also 53% would be pretty much in the normal range. Important would also be the chamber size.
See what they say,

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD

Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Hypertension, Pulmonary Embolism, Structural and Valve Disease

Board Certification Internal Medicine and Cardiology Interventional and Structural Cardiology

Multiple Publications In High Quality Peer Reviewed Journals. Internationally Recognized.

MD from The Royal Victoria University of Manchester, England Medicine, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Research Training - University of Alabama