Heart & Cardiology/Heart racing upon waking

Hi there,

I have a question. I have mitral valve prolapse (mild regurgitation), Crohn's disease, and anxiety. I started Zoloft for my anxiety about 2 weeks ago. I also take Bystolic (bet blocker) 2.5 mg, and Xanax as needed for the anxiety I have. The past 2 and a half weeks or so, I have been waking with my heart racing- probably around 120 bpm every morning. If I move my arm, leg or whatever, it races a little bit faster than that. I also have a weak feeling all throughout my body along with nausea. It takes me about an hour to have it return to normal (80's) and when I stand to use the restroom or get out of bed (which I do slowly) it also speeds up and pounds. I'm mainly concerned by the fact that it is already racing when I wake up. It's a horrible way to start my day and it is really bringing me down! My echo showed mild MVP, all ekgs normal except I get sinus tach sometimes, had an EP study that was normal...etc. Idk what to do anymore! ER just sends me home and my current cardiologist brushes me off. Thanks so much for your help/insight!!!

Hi Sara,
You should see your doctor and get your tachycardia confirmed with (among other things) a Holter monitor test:
Hope this helps,
Dr T

Heart & Cardiology

Expert opinions on cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Over 30 years experience of dealing as an expert with cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Board certified cardio-thoracic surgeon