Heart & Cardiology/Serrapeptase or other supplements?

Do you know anything about this? It is supposed to break up arterial plaque. I dont know how much I have, but at 56, being overweight with hypertension and a family history, I bet I do. The recent death of my buddy, who was almost my twin, made me take a hard look at my habits. I am walking, eating low fat, and starting to look and feel better. I am hoping a supplement might help too. If not this one, can you recommend something that will enhance my efforts to improve my heart health? Thank you sir, and blessings to you and yours.

Unfortunately the truth is that there is no supplement that has been proven to break up plaque. The mainstay of treating coronary artery disease is to stabilize plaque. The best way to do this is as you are doing which is modification of risk factors. Treatment of blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol where applicable. A diet that as per current thinking is limited in carbohydrates and processed foods. Regular exercise. Avoidance of drugs/smoking etc. These changes often go a long way and unfortunately no supplement can do the trick trust me we would have all heard about it if there was such a thing!

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD

Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Hypertension, Pulmonary Embolism, Structural and Valve Disease

Board Certification Internal Medicine and Cardiology Interventional and Structural Cardiology

Multiple Publications In High Quality Peer Reviewed Journals. Internationally Recognized.

MD from The Royal Victoria University of Manchester, England Medicine, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Research Training - University of Alabama