Heart & Cardiology/Does trivial mitral regurgitation cause a sound to be picked up by a stethoscope?

Hello Dr Ahmed,

I was this guy (who has MVP):

I'm please to say my palpitations have now greatly decreased thanks to Atenolol. I guess my body just didn't like Nebivolol HCL and Losartan.

I've questions though as Atenolol seems to have brought with it two side effects (or what I'm hoping to be side effects): anxiety and shortness of breath.

1. Out of curiosity I listened to my heart with a stethoscope and I noticed that the higher I placed the stethoscope, the more audible a "vvvvv vvvvv vvvvv" sound becomes. My last echo showed only trivial regurgiation. My question is:

Does trivial mitral regurgitation still cause a sound to be picked up by a stethoscope?

I'm worried my regurg has progressed to moderate.

2. Do you have patients who took Atenolol and experienced a marked increase in anxiety and shortness of breath? And is this normal? If it is a normal side effect I can live with this no problem (better than palps anyway).

Hoping you can spend time to answer my queries Dr. Ahmed. Thanks!

1) No trivial mitral regurgitation will not be heard by a stethoscope, it would typically have to be at a moderate level prior to auscultation findings, many people have physiologic flow murmurs from normal ejection of blood out of the heart. Have someone else listen and give you their opinion before you get too worried.

2) Im not aware of that side effect specifically, although different people are sensitive to different medications in different ways. It often comes down to what people are willing to tolerate.

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD

Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Hypertension, Pulmonary Embolism, Structural and Valve Disease

Board Certification Internal Medicine and Cardiology Interventional and Structural Cardiology

Multiple Publications In High Quality Peer Reviewed Journals. Internationally Recognized.

MD from The Royal Victoria University of Manchester, England Medicine, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Research Training - University of Alabama