Heart & Cardiology/palpitations

Thanks for service.  Hi I have Hashimoto on thyroxine since 20 years and mvp/+1 regurgitation.  I exercise 3-4 times per week and walk as well.  Don't smoke/drink . Normal bp/pulse.no chol/no triglycerides. I do my best to take care of myself.  I take magnesium c he lated,  selenium vitamin c and will start fish oil and Vit B.  I notice sometimes I get palpitations like butterfly in chest or a fish flopping around.  Not during exercise but mostly when I am on my period or have eaten something.  I am rather worried.  I don't feel ill or faint when I get it but I worry.    I am 39 female mum of three.

It is reassuring that when you get palpitations, you don't have symptoms of chest pain, dizziness or shortness of breath. Passing out would be another warning sign. An echocardiogram without significant underlying structural heart disease is also reassuring. Although your palpitations are not likely dangerous if you get them often it may be worth having a monitor to catch them, if anything, just to assess treatment options, Also, given that you have thyroid disease, it may be worth blood tests to assess thyroid function and medication dosing, as both hyper and hypothyroidisms and the medications used can lead to palpitations. Although it doesn't sound like there is too much to worry about, i recommend seeing your Dr to discuss the above issues.

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD

Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Hypertension, Pulmonary Embolism, Structural and Valve Disease

Board Certification Internal Medicine and Cardiology Interventional and Structural Cardiology

Multiple Publications In High Quality Peer Reviewed Journals. Internationally Recognized.

MD from The Royal Victoria University of Manchester, England Medicine, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Research Training - University of Alabama