Heart & Cardiology/Anxiety and the impact on the heart

Question
I am a 34 year old woman, good health and shape...I have svt..the non serious one.
I am a very anxious person and lately have exhibited all the symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder...I think the worst on any situation...even walking down the street and have noticed that my heart works harder and faster. Does this have a negative impact on the heart? Does it cause heart disease?

Answer
Hi Mary,

There has been some report in the past of associations between anxiety and development of heart disease over time. The association is not a very strong one or one of immediate clinical concern however it would be sensible to treat underlying anxiety as required.

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD